Friday, January 23, 2009

The process of making a mirror 3

So, after deciding what colors of vitreous glass I'll be using for the rest of the mirror, I observe the mirror with a little more attention and decide that it should have a wider section of green stained glass at the bottom. Fortunately I have a piece left and had no troubles cutting it out:
That is the mosaic with the stained glass piece added, and the blue ribbons. Note the difference of the look when I just put the pieces to check colors, positions, etc, and when I actually cut the put glue them to the base. The strong curve at the top required smaller pieces, so I cut them in four, and repeat the idea on the lower ribbon for balance. Also in that parts I added other colors other than blues: aquamarine (solid and translucent), green, and gray.

Now, I can start with the background. BUT, new decision, what shape are they going to take? plain squares, halfs, quarters, curvy (the slowest), triangles.... The possibilities are almost endless, so I apply, again, the trial-and-error technique. I had already decided not to use complicated shapes (curvy, triangle, etc) because one of the goals is to make the mirror faster, so the final price is cheaper. So, let's see the possibilities:








First, just squared vitreous in a boring layout. Then, I remembered I had come pieces of green stained glass (that's for fusing glass), so I tried that too that adds a little texture. Third, the squares following the shape of the objects. I like this the better, so I choose this. At first I was going to cut the pieces in half, but then I realize I can try an even more simple solution and leave the things how they are. This is weird in me, actually. I don't think I have one mosaic where I leave the pieces squared-shape, except for the coasters, of course.

Well, in this case I still take a little in some edges to facilitate the curves and keep a more even space in between the tiles. One of my obsessions, something I learned on the very beginning, was that a good mosaic has to have a constant space in between pieces. That makes it flow better, and shows dedication form the artist. He/she doesn't just put the pieces in place, but also shape each of them to fit perfectly. Like a perfect puzzle. So I made that part of my style. Very time consuming, yes, but I really like the results.
That's with the upper part finished. Note how the smaller green cuts on the ribbons start to make sense against the background. I like it so far!
BUT, and there's normally a BUT, I have a problem: on the right side, if I put two squares, the space in between them results too wide. Aggghhhhhh. I should had thought of that when I was making the initial drawing, plan it. How to avoid it: in this case, the stained glass on the right should have been wider, so when I get to put the green vitreous, there was only space for less than two pieces. One hole piece, and one cutted, so I could control the space in between them. Hope that makes sense! LOL.












Left: the right side of the mirror. Tiles are not glued, just putted there for reference of space.
Right: the upper side of the mirror. Tiles are shaped and glued, and keep a relatevely constant space.


Well, I'm very inspired and concentrated, so after get up the table, walk around the house for a few seconds, I find the answer: Cut the vitreous in half!! That will use a little more space, allowing it to fill all the wide needed. It also makes sense right next to the ribbon, that uses smaller pieces. Ok! Let's try that, then!

No comments: