Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The process of making a mirror

Hey!
So continuing with my purpose of getting the people to know a little more of the process of making mosaics, I decided to document every step of this particular project. Well, I hope I remember, because several times I've tried, but always miss steps because I forget to take the picture! Well, I'll do my best.

The first thing I have to say, is that every project is very particular, the process varies depending on the design, the materials and the decision and particular taste of the artist of make the cuttings in a particular way. So, this is very personal.

So, this mirror will be made in a wooden base, already assembled so I just have to make my design on it. I decided to use stained glass on this, mixed with vitreous glass. I made the drawing in a piece of paper, and I took the inspiration from another mirror made by one of my mentors, Maria Jose. I wanted to try her designs, that are beautiful, rich, but easier to make than mines (I have to make several new items because I'll be participating in a very fancy event, but I'll talk about it later).

So, I made the drawing on the paper, and with copying paper I translate this to the wooden base. That way I know were to place the pieces when they are cut. Then, with the same copying paper, I copy each piece to the piece of glass so I can cut it exactly the needed shape. This technique is the same used by stained glass artists for making their art.

The process of cutting glass is pretty fun. After you draw the line you want to make, you have to "mark" it with a glass cuter, which is a kind of a pencil, with a rolling point that scratches the glass. Then, you have to give the glass small beats with the rear of the glass cutter, along the marked line, on the back of the glass. Eventually, the two pieces of glass just split. BUT, if the line is too curvy and you're not experienced the glass may broke, not exactly where you were expecting! This is soooo frustrating!

Well, I'm cutting glass right now. Doing well so far. I will update when I'm finished with that.

No comments: